::Making simple things beautiful::

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Faking farmhouse

I am back!  I put some of my projects on hold for a few days so that I could spend the week with my kids.  It was nice to take a little break, but I am itching to get back to business.

We all love things that have chipping paint from sitting out in a barn for years and are truly old, but sometimes those things come with big fat price tags.  This project is a good example of how you can take any ol' thing and give it the farm house look with just a little bit of elbow grease.

I was recently hired to paint this wooden gate.  It was weathered, but didn't look like it was too old.  The whitewash and distressing was just what it needed to give it a real aged farmhouse look.



This is a view of the front of the gate.  It is cute too but I am partial to the other side for some reason (please don't mind the mess in the background).


I have been thinking about what I would do in my house with it.  It looks great just leaning against the wall, but it would also be adorable hung sideways as a headboard for a full bed.  Or, can you picture it hung sideways in a mud room or entryway with hooks on it for coats/purses/dog leashes?  It would be quite a statement to hang three or four matching frames with black and white pictures directly on it.  Imagine a wreath hanging on it at Christmas time...the possibilities are endless.



 




Is there anything laying around your house that could use a little faux farmhouse treatment?  You might be surprised how a little dry brushing and sanding could transform it.  

 I have also been working on a white frame collage for my living room so I will be back soon with details on that.

That is all I have to share for now, time to get ready for a day of swimming with the fam despite my already severely sun burned back.  

No comments:

Post a Comment